Friday, July 10, 2009

No Comps (The Most Gratifying)

With the ALLMANACT album afloat for a bit now, I am proud to have contributed to creating the project and extremely pleased with the feedback. The reception has been great thus far. The group angle was unexpected and the packaging of the album has been a pleasant surprise per many. Lots of people have expressed an appreciation for the relatable content and the lack of explicit, vulgar lyrics. Tastemakers, loyal fans and casual listeners alike all have their favorites. There is one understated compliment that has been the most gratifying to me though.

For one online retailer that carries our project along with other indie albums, we were required to select three established/major groups who have a comparable sound. After a short deliberation, we were stumped. I then figured it would be best to ask listeners who had given the album several listens by that time. It was a string of "uhhhh," "hmmmm," "good question," "I gotta think about it," and "I dont know"'s. Outside of two or three people throwing out names and discrediting their own answer seconds later with "Thats not a good one, but thats all I could think of," it dawned on me that our sound couldnt really be accurately boxed in with other notable groups out there. Granted, I get the whole "Nothing is new under the sun" thing and I know we are not the first rappers/singer combo group. The originality is there though on some level and I feel good about that as much as anything else surrounding the album. It means a lot to know that we are not a carbon copy conceptually, sonically or content-wise and I'm thankful for that affirmation.

No comments:

Post a Comment