Monday, May 25, 2009

Home Sweets Home

Folks, I am proud to say that my ability to say "No" has served me well yet again. While it's naturally comfortable and not a big deal to me on the day-to-day, the most noteworthy case of me saying "No" per other people is the fact that I have never taken up any offers to drink alcohol, ever. Despite the BILLIONS of offers since as early as middle school, I've never had a sip of any alcohol and I've never smoked anything before. I've just always had the will power to reject things that I didnt want regardless of what outside pressure was applied.

One morning, I woke up and heard an ESPN mention of some athlete who doesnt eat any sweets at all. When I heard that, I was like "Damn, I wonder if I can do that?" Now I was not about to abruptly cut off all sugar, but I decided to challenge myself right away. At that point, which was a strong three months ago, I decided I was going to cut off all blatant desserts (cakes, pastries, pies, donuts, chips), ice cream/milkshakes and candy. I'm not a snack junky but I definately enjoy several snack foods. Ice cream though? Aw thats my thing (especially in the spring/summer when a good milkshake or ice cream treat just makes sense)! So I couldnt do Hostess Cupcakes which I enjoy every once and again, (Honey) Bar-B-Que UTZ, no Krispy Kreme Donuts, no Hershey Kisses, no Cold Stone vanilla cups with crush pound cake, no M&M Blizzards from Dairy Queen, no chocolate cups from Carousel, no Banana Splits from Sonic, no Butter Pecan or Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Edy's at the crib, and so forth. Beyond the personal challenge, there were two built in circumstances that I coupled with my new goal to go three months without these sugary desserts. I was about to start working out with two friends and wanted to eat in a way that wouldnt undercut the new regiment. Working with two people who typically lift heavier allows, and usually requires, you to push yourself. I figured I could get some solid results if I improved an already decent diet. The three month thing came from me deciding that I'd cut off the desserts until after we released our group album. In that sense, it was a fast of sorts.

Given that it is late Sunday night right now (well, Monday 12:30am), I still have just under a week to go. I have this in the bag though. It's smooth sailing from here on. I've had some tough moments though. One day, I stopped in a donut shop to pick up some surprise boxes for some co-workers on my way in. The smell of that shop was torture. Co-workers have steadily tried to lure me in by bringing in all kinds of pecan rolls, Hershey Kisses, Nerd Ropes (Yum!), birthday cakes and such and I had to turn it all down. In some instances, they brought things just for me before they knew about the pact I made with/for myself. As grateful as I was, I took it and gave it away outside of work. There have been days where the weather was extra nice and I have been riding out with my windows down just thinking about the soothing taste of some soft serve vanilla ice cream. I never broke though. It wasn't easy, but I did it.

Having said all that, I am going to be on a certified dessert snack sugar high on the day after our album release party! On Sunday, I will be trying my hand at some candy, chips, donuts, brownies, and ice cream! In fact, I will be getting the party started at 12:01am and I welcome any Allmanact album release party attendees to bring me a surprise treat of your choice (I like walnuts in my brownies, thanks)! Krispy Kreme, the first ice cream parlor I see, the second ice cream parlor I see, wherever I can get some top notch candy...I'm in there on Sunday! The lovely part is I'll enjoy it for the day knowing that I wont want it as much and certainly dont need it. There is no place I'd rather be. Home Sweets Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment