Saturday, May 2, 2009

My Hate for Late

There is an on-going community concern that seems to be yielding no action. It's even become a staple go-to joke for some. Personally, I cringe every time I hear people mention "C.P.T." or "C.P. Time" which is a reference to the assumed tardiness of black folks when it comes to being at a given place at a particular time. I certainly reject the idea that just black people are late or that there arent people of varying demographics who are regularly late. Regardless of whom the subject is, I hate the disregard for being on time that has developed and grown over the years.

I absolutely am more comfortable, even if just slightly, when I am on time. Even going to work (a place that I'd rather not have to go to at all), I feel better about my day's start when I am not late. I like the comfort of not having to rush and the slight time cushion for the unexpected. I like options, availability and the spontaniety that is allowed when there are minutes to spare. I like to be courteous and considerate. I do not like rushing to get dressed, to drive, to get into work or anywhere else. I do not like being held-up and even more late because of things that are out of my control but probably avoidable if I was more prepared. I certainly do not like holding up people who I am supposed to meet up with, being tardy to structured or formal arrangements of any kind, delaying set times for shows, and etc. I like to choose happiness as much as I can and I feel good for/about myself when I'm on time. If that is not enough though, most scenarios include and affect other people, and I definately am not with being negligent in this regard. To state it plainly, being late in all types of situations that include other people is inconsiderate, trifling and can be disrespectful.

Am I always on time? No. Few to none are ALWAYS on time. Sometimes things happen, no matter how prepared you are. Sometimes you misjudge the proper departure time for whatever reason. Being late on a regular basis is just not good enough though, and being late on purpose is problematic. People are late to work, practices, dates, weddings, meetings, appointments, parties and etc with no concern at all. People are late after acknowledging and committing to pre-determined times. People are purposely later and later for the sake of topping other people who they expect to be late. I'm of the opinion that careless incidental tardiness is lame and there is nothing fashionable about being extra late intentionally.

Today, I was supposed to play tennis with some good people. I had been on a hiatus of several years after taking and enjoying a Beginner's Tennis course in undergrad but was finally going to break in my yet to be used racket. I, along with one other person, arrived at the courts on time at the hour that the other parties collectively chose. While bad weather was predicted for some part of the day, it was lovely and sunny upon arrival. The two of us waited about an hour and some change (enough time for a good workout) before the other half-dozen folks showed. When they arrived, we warmed up just 10 minutes before it started pouring down raining. We had to break for the cars and leave. I was blown. After waiting all this time to get out there and take a few swings and building my morning around this gathering, it was all for none because of tardiness.

One of my homeboys once was 100% serious when he told me that he was going to announce his wedding rehearsal time to be an hour earlier than it really is just so that the attendees are prompt. He was so not joking about that and I completely understand why. Instead of using prop start times that are 30 minutes to an hour in advance of the actual goings-on though, I think people need to just make a better effort to be on time to things. Later (pun intended).

No comments:

Post a Comment